Chicken Piccata is a classic Italian dish made with chicken breasts coated in flour and pan-fried, finished with a tangy sauce made with lemon juice, capers, and butter. Chicken Piccata with Olive Oil is a healthier version of the dish, using olive oil instead of butter.
The recipe includes ingredients such as chicken breasts, flour, salt, pepper, olive oil, chicken broth, lemon juice, capers, and parsley. The dish is served with roasted vegetables, green salad, whole grain pasta, or quinoa.
Introduction to Chicken Piccata with Olive Oil
Chicken Piccata is a classic Italian dish that is loved by many. It is traditionally made with chicken breasts that are pounded thin and then coated in flour before being pan-fried. The chicken is then finished with a tangy sauce made with lemon juice, capers, and butter. However, for those who want a healthier version of this dish, Chicken Piccata with Olive Oil is the perfect option.
Health benefits of Olive Oil
Olive oil is a staple in Mediterranean cuisine and has been shown to have many health benefits. It is high in monounsaturated fatty acids, which can help reduce inflammation and improve heart health. Additionally, olive oil is rich in antioxidants, which can help protect against chronic diseases.
Ingredients required for Chicken Piccata with Olive Oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Step by Step instructions to cook Chicken Piccata with Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Place chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until they are about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a shallow dish, mix together flour, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken breasts and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice, and capers to the skillet, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook until it has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Notes and Tricks
- For a healthier option, use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Make sure to use low-sodium chicken broth to keep the sodium levels in check.
- If you don’t have capers, you can substitute with chopped green olives.
Chicken Piccata with Olive Oil is delicious served with a side of roasted vegetables or a simple green salad. For a heartier meal, serve it over a bed of whole grain pasta or quinoa.
Chicken Piccata with Olive Oil is a flavorful and healthy twist on a classic dish. By using olive oil instead of butter, you can enjoy this delicious meal without compromising your health. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the tangy flavors of lemon and capers in every bite!